Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Art from the Heart tutors, number three Michelle Webb




Hello my name is Michelle Webb, and I’ve probably been doing the arty thing since I was in the high chair pushing my food around the tray! My Mum always said I was creative, be it food or paint.
I love mixed-media painting that’s my thing. I’ve shimmied into it over the years, and this is where I’m happy, so I’m staying put.

I’m from the North East of England, we talk a bit funny up here, but everyone says we are the friendliest folk and have the best sense of humour; I’d go along with that :)
I usually like to incorporate lots of paper and fabric in my little creations but I got inspiration from a flower in my garden for this little canvas and Dyan’s paints are lovely bright colours which are perfect for a hit of summer colour.

If you’d like to see more of what I create please pop by my blog



I teach mixed-media workshops at Dyan’s studio/shop Art from the Heart in Harrogate.

I have a lovely Cherry Blossom Canvas coming up on the 19th September 2015, where we use mediums to build up interesting background layers. You can book your place HERE


Here's a little project I did using Dylusions paints my way

I started this little canvas by making a background of Dylusions paints, Lemon Zest, Fresh Lime, Cut Grass and Melted Chocolate. I mixed the paint with gel medium gloss to give the paint a variation in opaqueness and transparency as well as giving me a satin like finish as the paint is Matt. This allowed me to build up layers of paint. With drying each layer and painting another one on top, you begin to get a rich background with a lovely variation of colour and depth.


I used Finnabair’s butterfly stencil around the edge with Bubblegum Pink Dylusions paint and cut and dry foam. Once dry I used Faber Castell’s Big Brush Pit Pens to add some shading around the butterflies and the flower.  I drew on the flower very roughly with a pencil and painted it in using White Linen Paint.


I kept building up the layers of white paint until it wasn’t transparent anymore. As you add the layers it naturally gives you the lines of the petals. I highlighted them more with a slight touch of Black Marble paint on the tip of my brush. 
I painted in the centre with dots of yellow and a touch of Melted Chocolate Paint.

Here is the flower in my garden where I got the inspiration from.


I used a white sharpie pen to highlight the white edges of the petals and used Pitt Pens for the green shading of the petals and around the back of the flower. Pitt Pens are amazing because they are Indian ink and you can move them around with your finger to smudge it. It dries quick so no waiting around. If you varnish over the top they won’t run too. Amazing they are!


I wrote the word Bloom with a gel pen. Even L.S. Lowry used ball point pens on his oil paintings.



I hope you enjoyed my little flowery canvas?

And please come and join us for some painty shenanigans at the studio at Art from the Heart, we’d love to see you there

Michelle xx

Michelle does fabulous work, I think we can all agree, pop over to her blog and give her some love. HERE

This past weekend I was at the Stampaway show in Cinncinatti with Stampers Anonymous and what a fabulous time we had.

These two lovelies come to see me at every show. Look at their fabulous outfits, all made with their own fair hands. See I am slowly spreading the made by hand vintage look,lol




Me and my little brother were up to our usual shenanigans!!!










And it is always my saviour when I can face time home to my two babes.


Enjoy xx


5 comments:

Michelle Webb said...

Love the last pic :) You crazy lot!
Michelle xx

Caroline D. said...

I still say the folks that get to attend workshops at your shop are the luckiest ever because you have such good classes and tutors. Loved seeing all the photos from your stampaway show too.... thanks for sharing them. :)

creatingincolors said...

I'm enjoying your "Art from the Heart" posts. And of course, I look forward to everyone of your posts with your crazy shenanigans. Love it all!

stamping sue said...

Like that little canvas by Michelle. Looks like you and Tim were having fun making faces at each other. In my next life maybe I'll be able to travel and visit England.
stamping sue
http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

Laura B said...

Beautiful projects from Michelle!
Thank you for letting us hang around your demo booth for most of the weekend! We always look forward to it. And thank you for posting the picture of us! I'm definitely saving that one.:)

Quote of the Century


"You are an extraordinary woman.


How can you expect anything ordinary to happen to you"


Louisa May Alcott